Pull the plug

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Pull the plug

Post by knowitall »

If you want to save scholastic football then it might be time to put an end to youth football. What was once deemed a great idea to prepare kids for high school football now seems to be having an adverse effect on the sport it is trying to help. Too many young Under Armor wearing princes are being carted off the field in ambulances. Numbers are down. One team is considered to be so good that for a third straight week its opponent is waving the white flag, claiming it is concerned about its players' safety. After playing four to six years of tackle football before seventh grade, fewer and fewer kids are lasting to junior high and high school. For the love of the game pull the plug on youth football.
PLDragons24
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pull the plug

Post by PLDragons24 »

I think youth football kind of takes kids excitement to play away also. Waiting till junior high to play let's the excitement build up to when they finally get to play kind of like waiting for your drivers license. It could help prevent kids from learning bad habbits too, like bigger kids just relying on size instead of form.
TITO10
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TITO10 »

Knowitall & PLdragons24- That could be the dumbest thing I have heard on this site. Why in the world would you pull the plug on youth football? If they are learning bad habits, its because you have parents coaching them who are either 1 trying to live their glory days (which they never had) through the kids or 2 they are there to make sure their kid plays and starts and not to coach the kids correctly. I am not sure what school district you are from Knowitall, but our school district only has 4 years of tackle football not 6. If the kid really wants to play and be there 4 years will not burn him out. Also, what coach would wave the white flag before even playing a game, because he thinks they have no chance of winning or safety. That coach is a joke then, that's a good way to give kids confidence. If he was teaching the kids how to play correctly and good form and also confidence then there would be no issues. I take it those coaches are the dads who were second teamers their whole life and are living through the kids. They are not there to teach the game to kids and make them believe in themselves. Youth football is a great experience for the kids who want to play. They build friendships and learn how to be part of a team, that they will never forget. Remember football is not a game for everyone, but the midget program gives all kids a chance to experience it before they hit high school. Whether they are talented or not so talented, they get a chance to play the sport and enjoy it. You are titled to you opinion and I respect it, however I must say C'mon man!
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

100% in your corner on pulling the plug and I love football. I do not view 9 year olds playing football a good thing unless it is 2 hand touch with their buddies.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

THE. BEST. POST. IN. A. LONG. TIME. I agree 110%! That coupled with glory hound coaches who stack teams is a huge issue. I played flag football in 5th and 6th grade. I was always ticked at my mom and dad for not letting me play in the GRYFL but looking back it was a good thing. It made me so excited to FINALLY put on pads in 7th grade. The biggest thing I see is the coaches who actually SCOUT in these leagues. And teach gap 8 defenses....which does NOTHING to teach them the game of football, like how to shed a block, find the ball carrier, etc. Great post sir. great post. Now let's wait for the d-bag coaches of these league rip you. I know one poster will for sure.
bigben7
Junior
Junior

Post by bigben7 »

Is there a rule about 6th graders playing jr high? If not, I think flag football early and have 6,7,8 grade Jr high football since most conferences have moved 9th graders to varsity.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

you are alloted 6 years of elegibility starting in 7th grade for PIAA
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

bigben7 wrote:Is there a rule about 6th graders playing jr high? If not, I think flag football early and have 6,7,8 grade Jr high football since most conferences have moved 9th graders to varsity.
That will probably be the next step. Then it will be 8th graders playing high school.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Here I thought the topic would be pulling the plug on the Xbox...

I have mixed opinion about this. Have you ever watched a first time player at a high school practice. Timid, confused, reluctant perhaps?

Now as far as team getting loaded they should move to more of a youth hockey model.
Join a league
Classify the kids into categories
Play the game against equal opponents

At the Varsity Level you don't have your ones practicing against your 3's and 4's why do it in youth sports

Oh course this would require grading of kids at a young age, so parents don't get upset, not everyone is headed to the NFL
and your child will be pared against some just as talented whether a 1 or a 3
-BIRDS OF PREY-
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

I disagree with most of this crap! Yes u do get dads who can't coach or do it for their kids to start. But if the league is good and smart, u get coaches that know the game and the right way to teach it. The kids that are good in pee-wee are the studs in jr high and varsity and many go to college. Seen this from years of pee-wee. Forest hills inherited a bunch of great teams via the grypwfl. These kids knew the game and baileys crew had kids that were tough and knew the game. Another ex. Shade never had pee-wee and got it about 5 years ago and they are reaping the rewards of it. That is why a lot of high school teams suffer never learning the game til jr high and you have all the other kids as studs. Same as wrestling. Start young, learn a lot, practice it, and you will have the best chance to succeed. Same as baseball or any other sport. The more you play and better teams you play, the better you are. Even these pros show them and their kids in youth leagues. Not saying a player couldn't start late and not be good, but most kids that start early are usually the better kids. And the good kids in pee-wee never get burned out from the stardum. They love it and keep playing forever. Seen it with the fh kids for years.