Shareef Blough ejection

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Shareef Blough ejection

Post by Eaglealum »

Exactly what coaches should do. But point is, someone has to question incompetence. Whether it's school officials and coaches as evaluators instead of officials evaluating officials. Or wherever it takes it needs to get better.
Before this goes farther, I'm talking about the ones that are constantly bad.... A lot of refs do a good job, and yea mention that too. But the whole system is flawed. It allows the ones that are so bad they effect games to skate by... That needs to stop. Their evaluation process , from what I've saw don't work the way it's set up.....
Btw, I did take the test a few years back and got a 94.,.. I've never officiated but I may in the coming year or two. I've got a few friends that do.... A couple doing it at NCAA level as well in various sports.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Officiating is definitely a difficult job. Mistakes will always be made. I agree that there are a lot of people that constantly bash officials that should go and take their test to see how difficult the job is to do. Even with the limited number of available officials, a review process should take place and be more effective to get rid of some of the officials that do a poor job. I've seen officials in basketball that were so bad I thought there was going to get multiple injuries. If you never call any penalties / fouls, players continue to do more and more until it is called. I've seen games get way out of hand because nothing was called.

I respect anyone that has ever taken their test and officiated in any sport. However, I hope that they evaluate their own performance and get out of the business if they realize they are in over their head!
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

Eaglealum......I just feel that, unless you are a coach or fellow referee fans have no business questioning the refs...I hope ya'll DO realize that at most games(not all but most) there is a crew there watching, grading and reviewing the performance of the on field crew.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

billmurray wrote:Eaglealum......I just feel that, unless you are a coach or fellow referee fans have no business questioning the refs...I hope ya'll DO realize that at most games(not all but most) there is a crew there watching, grading and reviewing the performance of the on field crew.
I know the process. I was also told by top dist ref. official once that Id never see a certain ref(I'll withold name as a courtesy) work a game of any significance.... The jerk in question worked a game at Hershey the very next year. How's that process work exactly?
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I see where Notre dames coach just blasted the officials from Saturday nights game.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

For what? ND's receiver coach should be on top of Franklins list for line coach! Haha
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Not Brian Kelly? He's not arrogant or anything, such a nice guy.....
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

What are you guys talking about??? Fans definitely come out to the men in stripes. And they are paid so everyone should know their names. In fact, they should have their names on the back of their shirts. That way you can tell who they are on every call they make. If high school sports associations were serious about fixing this issue, then they would mandate every school have so many staff involved in officiating the same way they run all of the other conference and district functions. And assign them to officiate other games, that is the only way it would get cleaned up. Jr. High coaches would have to ref varsity games at other schools while varsity and JV coaches would be reffing jr high games. It would be like concession stand duty at little leagues. And don't give me any comments about it taking up too much of their time. Most of these coaches are school employees and it is something that should be part of the job. Just like the way most ADs have to manage the games, etc. At least you would have coaches involved in the sport serving these functions rather than just guys who want an easy paycheck and build up their egos by saying "I reffed that game! BLAH BLAH BLAH!" Most officials are guys who never played worth a hoot and have an axe to grind from day one. The rest of them fall into the 'easy way to make a few bucks and look important doing it' category! I dare you to prove me different.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

billmurray wrote:wow......REALLY PEOPLE? It's high school football for goodness sakes....The refs aren't retiring on what they make. move on. the call happened, mistake or not, it happened. I've seen good crews, bad ones, good one having bad nights, bad ones having good nights......but again.....IT'S HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. What do you teach the players when you question every call made by referees? You tell them it happened, learn from it.
as a high school official (basketball and baseball/softball) Most of the time, the check we get pays for a tank of gas. Also, I'm not saying we are perfect, but I will say BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, we don't "throw games".
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

I wish them luck. Usually appeals don't go well
-BIRDS OF PREY-