Youth Football

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Youth Football

Post by Coach »

Hey guys, I'm not looking for opinions/debate here...I know this could turn into that. I just want some factual information.

I want to know what area schools do in terms of youth football. Have changes been made in the last few years one way or another?

Northern Bedford
1-2 flag (11-11)
3-4 tackle
5-6 tackle

I know today I learned that Windber is going to 1-6 Flag (9 on 9) this year. So, this would be an example of a change.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Youth Football

Post by dadw/2sons »

Pretty sure Tussey follows the same format.
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by davesandstorm »

I believe Huntingdon County has now went to a similar format. In years past you could play as a 7th grader if you hadn't turned 13 by seasons end.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

When my son played youth and up until last year, Bellwood was 2nd through 7th . Grades 2-4 was B and 5-7 was A team. Option at 7th grade to move up to jr high.Now that 9th is playing varsity their format is changing but I'm not sure what the changes are.
BoStillKnows
Senior
Senior

Post by BoStillKnows »

Tyrone I believe is now the only area youth football league still with 7th graders. Tyrone was merged with Bellwood up until last season, but with Bellwood moving all of their 7th graders up to Jr. High it caused an end to the merger. Tyrone's youth league is grades 2nd, 3rd, & 4th (ages 7-9) is Pee-Wee and grades 4th, 5th, 6th (ages 10-12) is Youth. Both leagues are tackle.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Is there a league or teams local that follow the USA Football system of 6-6/7-7 flag football? Drew Brees has also developed a similar league to that.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Central youth football...

1st & 2nd grade - flag
3rd/4th - tackle (3rd graders have option to play flag)
5th/6th - tackle

7th, 8th and 9th all have their own teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
footballmadness
Freshman
Freshman

Post by footballmadness »

hollidaysburg has flag 1-4th, option to play tackle 4th >70 lbs, tackle 5-6, JH teams 7,8,9. Numbers for flag and tackle are staying firm. 5 teams of 20 plus kids. Kids seem to quit as they progress in age. current senior class had over 60 kids in 5/6 tackle, only about 18 still play.
marley1
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by marley1 »

I firmly believe that it is not necessary to play tackle football until minimum 6th grade.  Third and Fourth grade kids tackling doesn't do anyone any good.  Injury is a factor as well as kids getting intimidated by the contact.  Generally there are a few kids that excel and can handle the contact.  However there are so many kids at that age that are intimidated and end up quitting.  Flag football programs should be extended to sixth grade in my opinion.  
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

I know my third grade son isn't playing football this year, his choice,  and I think the contact part of the game is one of the reasons. There are more, but he did play flag last year. He made the decision of not wanting to play tackleand that is fine in my opinion.