Re: Pitt Stripe Out

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Being that Rice is a historical rival. 
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

El-Moldo wrote:You know, last Friday FH had a 41-0 lead at halftime over BC. When the 2nd half started, FH subs played the rest of the game, not scoring ANY points and giving up 7 to the Huskies. I'm sure Don Bailey would have liked a shut-out. What coach wouldn't? Now take Coach Franklin. He FREEZES the GSU kicker, to PRESERVE his shut-out. PSU invites a team into their stadium, a team which has only been an FBS team for 8 years, slaughtered them, and then rubs it in their face at the end of the game. Franklin is NOT a gentleman. He's a cut-throat. With 9 regular season games to go, let's see what happens.
I agree that Franklin shouldn't have called a timeout.  GSU also shouldn't have been kicking a field goal in the first place.  If Franklin was going to do it then he should have just owned up to it and said yeah my kids wanted a shutout so we called a timeout to try to make it happen.  However, you can't compare high school sports to college sports.  GSU knew they were signing up for a butt kicking and didn't care because of the money Penn State was giving them.  We don't need to have a pity party for GSU.     
Franklin is NOT a gentleman.  He's a cut throat.  The majority of the successful college coaches are. 
pahntr
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahntr »

DragonsDoExist wrote:
El-Moldo wrote:You know, last Friday FH had a 41-0 lead at halftime over BC. When the 2nd half started, FH subs played the rest of the game, not scoring ANY points and giving up 7 to the Huskies. I'm sure Don Bailey would have liked a shut-out. What coach wouldn't? Now take Coach Franklin. He FREEZES the GSU kicker, to PRESERVE his shut-out. PSU invites a team into their stadium, a team which has only been an FBS team for 8 years, slaughtered them, and then rubs it in their face at the end of the game. Franklin is NOT a gentleman. He's a cut-throat. With 9 regular season games to go, let's see what happens.
Yeah if they score a TD they score a TD not much u can do about that. BC wouldn't kick a FG just to avoid the shutout. That's equivalent to bunting to end a no hitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DragonsDoExist's point here is very valid and one that is not being discussed....I am not really a fan of taking the TO, and do agree that stating "we don't have a 4th string field goal block team" is a BS excuse by Franklin....these are all D1 football players, pretty sure they have been on the field before for a PAT/Field goal block at some point in their football career and can figure out what to do even if you do not have a 4th block team on the depth chart!
HOWEVER, does no one else find it pretty sad that Georgia State lines up for a field goal to end the game when down 8 scores with the only purpose being that you don't get shutout? That is an absolute JOKE! Two wrongs don't make a right here, but if I'm PSU coaches and I see Georgia State trot out their field goal team with 11 seconds left and down by 56, I am saying--"you have to be freaking kidding me!!!" Take a shot in the end zone and let the game end if you can't make it happen. In what world does 56-3 somehow seem any better then 56-0? The evil empire that is our media wants to hammer Franklin and PSU, but I ask this....if James Franklin stated to the media...."Last year we got screwed out of the Playoffs. We pounded this team all day and wanted to preserve the shutout so it looks better at the end of the year when the committee is voting. Plus we think it's ridiculous to kick a field goal when down by 8 scores only to avoid a shutout. So, that's why I iced him." ----If Franklin stated that instead of his politically correct excuse, would everyone be hammering him the same way? I doubt it.....
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Almost every college coach at the Power 5 level is insane in one way or another. They're more similar than different. 

Pitt fans think Franklin is terrible, PSU fans don't like Narduzzi. 

Michigan fans hate Urban Meyer, Ohio State fans hate Harbaugh's antics. 

Guess what, they are all the same guy. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Yep.  Beating Georgia State 56-0 instead of 56-3 looks so much better.
Bagman
Junior
Junior

Post by Bagman »

knowitall wrote:I'm sure Pitt will sell more tickets to upcoming games with Rice and then historical rivals, NC State and Virginia.
Why is this not removed from the thread ??   Childish !
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Almost every college coach at the Power 5 level is insane in one way or another. They're more similar than different. 

Pitt fans think Franklin is terrible, PSU fans don't like Narduzzi. 

Michigan fans hate Urban Meyer, Ohio State fans hate Harbaugh's antics. 

Guess what, they are all the same guy. 
Nailed it!

You play to win the game!!!
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

You know, when BC scored their TD against FH at the end of last Friday's game, I genuinely felt good for the Huskies. They work as hard as others in getting their season ready, and how they prepare for each game. And I'm sure the Georgia State players were seeking a little reward for their efforts also. Now does anyone remember in June of 2014, how GSU INVITED Franklin and his coaching staff to be "guest coaches" at their GSU campus for a recruiting camp. You see, college teams cannot hold recruiting camps beyond a 50 mile limit from their campus. Wasn't it nice that GSU gave Franklin an opportunity to come down south and evaluate potential recruits at the GSU camp. And how did Franklin thank the Panthers team for their generosity? The first chance he got, he tried to FREEZE their field goal kicker with 11 seconds left and a 56-0 lead to PRESERVE a shutout. The word Cut Throat isn't even strong enough.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

El-Moldo wrote:You know, when BC scored their TD against FH at the end of last Friday's game, I genuinely felt good for the Huskies. They work as hard as others in getting their season ready, and how they prepare for each game. And I'm sure the Georgia State players were seeking a little reward for their efforts also. Now does anyone remember in June of 2014, how GSU INVITED Franklin and his coaching staff to be "guest coaches" at their GSU campus for a recruiting camp. You see, college teams cannot hold recruiting camps beyond a 50 mile limit from their campus. Wasn't it nice that GSU gave Franklin an opportunity to come down south and evaluate potential recruits at the GSU camp. And how did Franklin thank the Panthers team for their generosity? The first chance he got, he tried to FREEZE their field goal kicker with 11 seconds left and a 56-0 lead to PRESERVE a shutout. The word Cut Throat isn't even strong enough.
They were rewarded with a check for $1.2M

You play to win the game!!!
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

They got the check, played in front of 100,000 people, and probably the most expourse they will ever get.

Comparing Hs to college is a joke. Apples and oranges.