Small School Models of Consistency

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Small School Models of Consistency

Post by footballguy99 »

Just for something to do, I went through the Heritage, ICC, and Westpac to see what small schools have been the most consistent winners since 2004 when Maxpreps started tracking records.  I'm not I was 100% accurate or that Maxpreps was 100% accurate, but here are my findings for a top 10.

1. Bellwood 136-33
2. Portage 123-32
3. Berlin 110-47
4. Northern Bedford 104-49
5. Ligonier 101-50
6. Penns Manor 99-55
7. Windber 96-57
8. Juniata Valley 89-56
9. Moshannon Valley 87-61
10. North Star 82-72

After these programs, I am finding Homer-Center, Blairsville, Meyersdale, and Conemaugh Township to be all around the 75-80 mark in terms of wins.

BG has been phenomenal as of late and that would help them to be 4th on this list at 107-55.  Chestnut Ridge has been an AA team for many years like Bellwood and Ligonier, but they aren't in a conference.  They would come in just after NB at 104-55.

Bellwood, Ligonier, North Star, and Berlin (because of a co-op) have all been AA at some point.  I'm not sure if Windber was ever AA or not.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Small School Models of Consistency

Post by Wrasslerfan »

excellent research sir
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I feel like bellwood was A for the majority of this time. Also some of these years predate BG in the lhac i believe also
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

BA probably would have split pretty evenly as an A/AA. Under the new classs they would have consistently been an AA. The team to beat BA the most would have been Tyrone and then playoff games. They have only lost a handful of ICC games out of that 33 through all these years. 
WhiteOwl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WhiteOwl »

Great research, however I would not consider Ligonier a small school. 
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

Agreed. It is the biggest school in the 3 conferences. 
However, Mt Union, Everett, and Southern Huntingdon are all within 15 of them. 
It is also basically the same exact size as Ridge and West Shamokin and just a few bigger than Marion Center. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Northern Bedford needs to win D5 this year. They've never had a better chance, at least I don't think. They haven't won the title in 22 years. The time is now.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
pahntr
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahntr »

Now, if you really want to narrow your research, figure out how many different head coaches those schools had in that same time span. I am willing to bet most of them have had 3 or less; NB, Portage, Bellwood and Windber are definitely 3 or less, not sure about the rest. Then once you have figured out the data on the number of coaches you can save that list and send it to the school boards and AD at any districts that open their HC job up over the next few months! I have always felt that a HC needs at least 8 years to see if their "system" and methods of operations will equal success at the HS level (not just FB but all team sports). A district needs to allow a coach to see a group of kids work their way through the entire program (5th/6th grade elementary through graduation) before passing judgement on the coach. Not too many schools/communities have the patience to do so though.....
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

How many of these programs also have good jr high coaching staffs? I know Bellwood has a Fantastic coaching staff at the jr high level. A lot of first year sophomores have been able to step up, if not as starters, at least key reserves.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Only two of those teams are in the top 100 all time wins and thats Bellwood #58 and Windber #28

Huntingdon #13
Johnstown #20
Tyrone #29
Hollidaysburg #32
Altoona #35
Bedford #73
-BIRDS OF PREY-