Portage Gouse Retires

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Portage Gouse Retires

Post by HSD6FAN »

Was this out of left field or was this something being discussed in the Portage area?

https://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/por ... ssion=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Re: Portage Gouse Retires

Post by CharlieConway »

A source close - it was his call, it was his time. Great coach and even better man. I wish him the best in his retirement!
Thanks!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Where's that LIKE icon?
It ain't over until it's over.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

Living in Portage, I believe the whole town knew this was coming. It was no surprise to most of us. I’m glad he’s done. I don’t mean that in any disrespect, he was a great teach, great coach, and great mentor to this town myself included. Just think the timing is right and time for one of the “young” ones to show what they got and learned from over the years. Best of luck to the future Mustangs! More importantly best wish to Gary Gouse and his family. ❤️
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

Coach Gouse was an assistant when I played for Portage back in the mid 80's. He was a great coach and even a better man. Best of luck in your retirement Chief.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Gouse’s small-school teams never won a District 6 crown, though the Mustangs reached the 2008 6-A final before falling to Bishop McCort, 42-7; and an 11-win team fell in the 2014 6-A title game to eventual state champion Bishop Guilfoyle, 28-14.

29 seasons, 2 appearances in the district title game?

During the same time period Don Bailey led Forest Hills played in 17 district championship games winning 10.

In the 38 years of Hayes’ leadership at B-A, the Blue Devils have had 34 winning seasons (two others were an even 5-5 split), three PIAA final fours, and 19 ICC titles. His teams have compiled undefeated regular seasons six times,
Hayes led teams played in 11 district title games winning 6. 2 of which were against the private catholic schools.
Last edited by EnzoLigoniere on December 6th, 2019, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:35 pm Gouse’s small-school teams never won a District 6 crown, though the Mustangs reached the 2008 6-A final before falling to Bishop McCort, 42-7; and an 11-win team fell in the 2014 6-A title game to eventual state champion Bishop Guilfoyle, 28-14.

29 seasons, 2 appearances in the district title game?

During the same time period Don Bailey led Forest Hills played in 17 district championship games winning 10.
So what?
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Just comparing with other similarly tenured coaches.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

knowitall wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm
EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm Just comparing with other similarly tenured coaches.
or were you just being an asshole?
What enzo being an ahole? 0 surprise there. Wonder if he will put Roger up to those same people over time
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

knowitall wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm
EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm Just comparing with other similarly tenured coaches.
or were you just being an asshole?
Every single post you put up is a sarcastic opinionated comment. I posted a comparison of other coaches who were at their schools for similar time periods. Way to be an internet tough guy though.