A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Portage Gouse Retires

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

konjo78 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:24 pm
knowitall wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm
EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm Just comparing with other similarly tenured coaches.
or were you just being an asshole?
What enzo being an ahole? 0 surprise there. Wonder if he will put Roger up to those same people over time
How does Gouse compare to Packer?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:49 pm
konjo78 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:24 pm
knowitall wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:54 pm

or were you just being an asshole?
What enzo being an ahole? 0 surprise there. Wonder if he will put Roger up to those same people over time
How does Gouse compare to Packer?
Packer will have the 1 D6 title and final 4 appearance but consistency is more on the side of gouse. Either way portage has been one of the best, most consistent programs in d6. Sure they may have no d6 title but D6A may of been the 2nd or 3rd toughest district to win the past 20 or so years.

Are the coaches who lost to clairton or southern columbia downgraded because to all time great PA programs?

Before class restructure D6A had BG, BC, BM, BA, Portage, HC, PM, Mo Valley, PL and more all trying to get 1 title. Most districts have 4-6 teams in playoffs D6A was almost always 10 teams deep
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Even though there may not be titles next to his name, I believe a coach should be respect for putting a quality product on the field each and every year. I’m not a local of the Portage area, but have always known of Portage as a great football school (baseball too). The community rallies around their team. The coach has a lot tondo with that motivation and year to year consistency, especially in a small school district.

Maybe the other coaches of small, local schools will be touted as being “better”, this doesn’t diminish what was accomplished at Portage by Gouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

EnzoLigoniere wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Every single post you put up is a sarcastic opinionated comment. I posted a comparison of other coaches who were at their schools for similar time periods. Way to be an internet tough guy though.
That wasn’t your intent.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

The negative posts annoy me more than anything.

The guy was a terrific football coach and helped a whole lot of high school kids grow up and mature into men. If he was in D5, he’d have a lot gold medals but it wouldn’t change anything because....he was terrific either way.
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Well put, Coach!
It ain't over until it's over.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

1. Enzo doesn't want any coach to get more recognition than Roger so he drags the other coaches down. 2. I've said before in a different thread about the Mt. Rushmore of d6. Coach Gouse as of right now one could argue he should be on it. Very good coach. Like Konjo said D6 A has been a monster classification. Not many teams besides Bellwood BC, BM, and BG have won it. Hope he enjoys retirement and for Portage I hope the next coach keeps the tradition going.
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sportsfan1072 »

I graduated from Portage just before Gouse starting coaching. The football team leading up to the Gouse era was pretty bad, if I remember correctly (in early 80's to 1990), consistently having losing records for the most part. With that said, that was also pre-Westpac days, we played many LHAC teams, Forest Hills being the big rival ( I think we only ever one against them in 1984) so that may have had a little to do with the improved records after Gouse starting coaching. Either way, Coach Gouse seemed to run a good, very successful, winning program, and had a good impact on many young men throughout his coaching career, congrats to him. If I recall correctly, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the roster numbers were pretty low right before he took over, and he brought the program up to have consistently high roster numbers for a class A school. To me, that says a lot about a coach.

On another note - per the LHAC predictions post discussion - if D-6 titles are so common, as some posters said, you would think Portage would have had a few. Like Konjo and Goldeneagles stated, D6 A is a tough class to win. Titles may be common for a few teams but not common for most.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

If it weren't for Coach Gouse we wouldn't be talking about Portage football every year.