Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Fall Sports

Post by CCDevil2012 »

So, how many think we will see a fall season in high school or college sports?? Heard that many college conferences are considering just doing just in league games. But if colleges remain online through the fall I’m not sure this will even happen.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by DragonsDoExist »

I’m praying we get both. My son is a senior at PSU and is really looking forward to his last year in the student section. Also my Dragons have a nice young group coming up thru and hate to see them lose a year. Just really missing sports in general at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

If the local high school season is, say, cut in half due to school maybe not re-opening until mid- Sept., would it even make sense to have the sport played at all this year? If this horror comes back, as many self-trumpeting experts have said it will, it will be deja vu all over again, and we all go back to hell and do not collect $1200. If for some reason things do start back on time, does anyone see sitting in the stands as you always did being an option? FH has a community TV channel, which unless you get cable, most residents won't be able to watch from a distance. Not meant to sound snarky, but if the young Rangers didn't play this fall, many of us wouldn't have to think about how many wins or losses they would have. It's if this thing should drag into the winter sports seasons that I'm worried about, with the 2 big hammers this year being the Lady Rangers' hoopsters and the Ranger rasslers. Losing those seasons would be killer.
It ain't over until it's over.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

How long are we going to let this go on?

What if we go 2 years without a vaccine? 3? 4? longer?

At some point, we need our society back. Sports are a small fraction of society but certainly a part and a part that many are very passionate about.

I'm not real sure of the local high school athletic budgets but how long can they survive without football?

Collegiate athletic departments are already starting to feel the strain. Florida Tech (D2) dumped their football program yesterday. Cincinnati Bearcats dropped 3 varsity sports. I think the major bluebloods can survive a bit but eventually revenue is needed to keep the ship afloat.

Hurting the worst in the sports world is minor league teams. High School and College programs can be propped up by donors and public funding. Pro sports is propped up by huge TV contracts. Minor league sports MUST HAVE butts in the seats to make ends meet.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Post by ERAChamp »

abpk2903 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:27 am How long are we going to let this go on?

At some point, we need our society back. Sports are a small fraction of society but certainly a part and a part that many are very passionate about.

I'm not real sure of the local high school athletic budgets but how long can they survive without football?

Collegiate athletic departments are already starting to feel the strain. Florida Tech (D2) dumped their football program yesterday. Cincinnati Bearcats dropped 3 varsity sports. I think the major bluebloods can survive a bit but eventually revenue is needed to keep the ship afloat.

Hurting the worst in the sports world is minor league teams. High School and College programs can be propped up by donors and public funding. Pro sports is propped up by huge TV contracts. Minor league sports MUST HAVE butts in the seats to make ends meet.
I couldn't agree with you more - I have been saying this since the outset of this 2 months ago. The numbers are just not there to justify shutting the WORLD down over this. Yes, if you are elderly or have an underlying condition, you are more at risk than the general public. A LOT more should have been done to protect the nursing homes and assisted living homes, but this is getting ridiculous. The media has made this virus out to be the second coming of ebola that if you get you die - that's just not the case. Actually, almost the exact opposite is true that if you do get, you have like a 97%+ probability of a full recovery.

I absolutely have no problem with those that are scared and want to self isolate or shelter in place. But please don't mandate or tell me that I can't go out or live if I am willing to risk getting this virus.

Not just for sports, but IMHO I think it will be ridiculous if elementary/high schools do not open in the fall. By any metric you want to use, the age group least effected by this is age 0-18, between 0-1%!!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

^^^^Where's the hand-clapping emoji for the previous 2 posts?^^^^ :)
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

abpk2903 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:27 am How long are we going to let this go on?

Maybe it's time for a reset then. If a school is this dependent on that much revenue to support amateur athletics, things are way out of whack. Greed and the "arms race" to provide the most luxurious facilities for students is going to cause the bubble to burst..

It's a shame if high school or small college programs miss a season, but it won't cause those schools financial ruin because they didn't create a system that is so dependent on them.

Pro sports (and minor leagues) are a business and we'll see what happens, but it would be unconscionable to put amateur athletes and amateur sports fans at unnecessary risk because your total business plan depends on it.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

High school athletes are young and therefore not at great risk of catching this virus and dying. The same can't be said for their parents, teachers, coaches, bus drivers and certainly referees, many of whom probably reside in assisted living homes.

Are there parents who won't allow their kid to play if there is a season? We saw several schools struggle to field football teams in 2019. How do those teams look heading into an uncertain 2020?
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I don’t understand the problem with high school athletics generating revenue.

Would you rather be taxed a higher rate to support extra curricular activities or would you rather go to a handful of football/basketball/wrestling events spend $20ish on a ticket, hot dog, coffee, program, and 50/50?

I’d choose the football game.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I had been doing the latter. And don't forget the support by buying hats, tshirts, sweatshirts, shorts, miscellaneous items like seat cushions ponchos and umbrellas all with school logo's.