Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by konjo78 »

I would be willing to her the same people talking that places need to open back up and schools/fall sports should be in place also appluaded and stated how smart texas and florida were for opening up in May.

Are texas and florida really the smart ones here??? Or should we all learn from the mistakes of these states like cali, texas, florida, idaho, arizona and others???
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

There are kids that chose not return to play in the rec leagues, because they weren't comfortable. I don't think any less of them or their families. I'm just glad that they didn't try to shut down the whole league.
PoohBear
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PoohBear »

The issue it seems to me is simple. It is political. If you are conservative you know that shutting businesses down, preventing people from doing things like sports for example, not allowing church services, etc. is detrimental to the American way of life. It has and will cause very high unemployment, businesses to close forever, and a deeper dependency on government. (Which is in debt up to the wazoo already.) If you are liberal (deep down) you want to see America become dependent on government, you want to see the American way of life end as we know it, you don't care if businesses close or churches close, or if we ever play sports again, etc. Fact #1 the coronavirus is virtually non-harmful to high school aged kids. Fact #2 in 2009 the H1N1 virus was harmful to this same age group and of the 150,000 to 575,000 lives lost, 80% were people under the age of 65. I don't remember school closings or sports being halted back then. If young people are not allowed to do things like sports, they will still do things and many times it will be things detrimental to society and themselves. The point is America has always persevered and we have never cowered like some helpless child. For America to be America we need to have businesses remain open, we need to not depend on government or men will never be innovative again, and most of all we need things like sports as an outlet. These are different times, there is no denying that. But, with everyone's safety in mind, there is no way American ingenuity can't come up with answers without closing the country down and then re-opening to an America that nobody recognizes or wants such as long food lines, no sports, rampant crime and lawlessness in every city or town, starvation, no jobs, etc. By the way, I am in my 60s, I still shake hands, I seldom wear a mask, and I go places where I don't always know everyone. Here's to staying the course and having fall sports. Another thought would be what if say 200 teams decide they are playing soccer or football in spite of a Wolf order to shut down. What would be the consequence? The police aren't going to get involved. They have more important issues going on.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Liberal here, I want sports to be played.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

PoohBear wrote: July 16th, 2020, 10:12 pm The issue it seems to me is simple. It is political. If you are conservative you know that shutting businesses down, preventing people from doing things like sports for example, not allowing church services, etc. is detrimental to the American way of life. It has and will cause very high unemployment, businesses to close forever, and a deeper dependency on government. (Which is in debt up to the wazoo already.) If you are liberal (deep down) you want to see America become dependent on government, you want to see the American way of life end as we know it, you don't care if businesses close or churches close, or if we ever play sports again, etc. Fact #1 the coronavirus is virtually non-harmful to high school aged kids. Fact #2 in 2009 the H1N1 virus was harmful to this same age group and of the 150,000 to 575,000 lives lost, 80% were people under the age of 65. I don't remember school closings or sports being halted back then. If young people are not allowed to do things like sports, they will still do things and many times it will be things detrimental to society and themselves. The point is America has always persevered and we have never cowered like some helpless child. For America to be America we need to have businesses remain open, we need to not depend on government or men will never be innovative again, and most of all we need things like sports as an outlet. These are different times, there is no denying that. But, with everyone's safety in mind, there is no way American ingenuity can't come up with answers without closing the country down and then re-opening to an America that nobody recognizes or wants such as long food lines, no sports, rampant crime and lawlessness in every city or town, starvation, no jobs, etc. By the way, I am in my 60s, I still shake hands, I seldom wear a mask, and I go places where I don't always know everyone. Here's to staying the course and having fall sports. Another thought would be what if say 200 teams decide they are playing soccer or football in spite of a Wolf order to shut down. What would be the consequence? The police aren't going to get involved. They have more important issues going on.
Blah blah blah
Lionjacket
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Lionjacket »

PoohBear wrote: July 16th, 2020, 10:12 pm The issue it seems to me is simple. It is political. If you are conservative you know that shutting businesses down, preventing people from doing things like sports for example, not allowing church services, etc. is detrimental to the American way of life. It has and will cause very high unemployment, businesses to close forever, and a deeper dependency on government. (Which is in debt up to the wazoo already.) If you are liberal (deep down) you want to see America become dependent on government, you want to see the American way of life end as we know it, you don't care if businesses close or churches close, or if we ever play sports again, etc. Fact #1 the coronavirus is virtually non-harmful to high school aged kids. Fact #2 in 2009 the H1N1 virus was harmful to this same age group and of the 150,000 to 575,000 lives lost, 80% were people under the age of 65. I don't remember school closings or sports being halted back then. If young people are not allowed to do things like sports, they will still do things and many times it will be things detrimental to society and themselves. The point is America has always persevered and we have never cowered like some helpless child. For America to be America we need to have businesses remain open, we need to not depend on government or men will never be innovative again, and most of all we need things like sports as an outlet. These are different times, there is no denying that. But, with everyone's safety in mind, there is no way American ingenuity can't come up with answers without closing the country down and then re-opening to an America that nobody recognizes or wants such as long food lines, no sports, rampant crime and lawlessness in every city or town, starvation, no jobs, etc. By the way, I am in my 60s, I still shake hands, I seldom wear a mask, and I go places where I don't always know everyone. Here's to staying the course and having fall sports. Another thought would be what if say 200 teams decide they are playing soccer or football in spite of a Wolf order to shut down. What would be the consequence? The police aren't going to get involved. They have more important issues going on.

Find another hobby PoohBear.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

First off I am a conservative, through and through so the idea that this falls down political lines is a fallacy created by conservative media.

Second You compared H1N1 response to COVID-19.... During H1N1's presence the US only saw 12,469 deaths during that full year, (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... demic.html source) while right now COVID-19 Deaths in the US for just 4 months is 138,000. So in 1/3rd the time more than 10x the amount of americans have died form COVID-19 compared to H1N1. So even putting the severity of these virus's in the same context or sentence just shouldn't exist and needs to stop.

The people following the virus, understanding the numbers and how they work look at multiple things, mainly Science and history. Believe it or not a lot can be learned still from the Influenza that happened in the 1920s, especially when it comes the 2nd/3rd waves. The other thing people aren't realizing is yeah, at this moment thankfully COVID-19 might not be heavily in your cities and communities but all it takes is a few people to bring it in and for it to spread rapidly throughout if not being safe. Look at Texas and Florida, they flaunted that their cases were low and they could live life normally because of it.... Once the virus started to get a stable base there it pretty rapidly spread to the point the "ultra conservative" Governor of Texas is putting mask Ordinances in place and pleading with people to social distance and wear masks to stop the COVID problem there.

Again people can effect people/patients in other areas. If a hospital's ICU is full from Covid patients that means its also full for heart attacks, emergency surgeries, cancer treatments, strokes, and so many other things. And with how quickly the virus was able to pick up and spread in bars/beaches/protests schools very well can be the same type of steroid for the virus to go through a community. The kids may not have high chance for a serious case of COVID but teachers, coaches, parents, staff all could. How many teachers are 55+? In many areas around the country schools already have a problem with too many students in 1 class room now imagine if 10% of teachers refuse to teach for their own safety and trying to social distance???

I don't want to see America dependent on the government, but I do want America to be able to take things seriously and use their brain to critically think. The American way of life isn't pure unfiltered capitalism, but a lot of conservatives feels this is the only way you can run the country... Until capitalism attacks something they like then its BOO HOO I HATE THIS CORP AND THIS COMPANY. Redskins were forced to change their name purely off of capitalism but so many conservatives are upset they are doing it even though its their own system that forced the hand.
Bagman
Junior
Junior

Post by Bagman »

Another issue for fall sports may very well be lack of officials. As we all know there is a lot of 55 and older officials around.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

I feel after reading this thread that it took COVID19 for many people to understand they aren't immortal.

It's not a simple as "wear a mask and cancel sports" and this will be fixed.

Masks and sports are just 2 small parts of the "what are we willing to do/give up to fight a disease or illness?" Along with "how bad does the threat have to be in order to give things up?"

It so happens that this is a sports related message board so sports are the forefront of our discussion.

If this was a religious based message board, I'm sure there would be a similar debate over the importance of attending services.

If this was a small business message board, I'm sure there would be a similar debate over the importance of maximizing potential profits.

If this was a theater message board, I'm sure there would be a similar debate over the importance of live performances.

I can go on.

Here is the frustrating part to me. 100 million (1/3) Americans have diabetes or pre-didibetes with the vast majority of those cases due to choices THEY have made. 99 million Americans are overweight with 70 million Americans obese with just a few percent due to health factors outside of their control. 34 million Americans smoke with 16 million of those people living smoking related diseases. The numbers are vague with vape related smoking addictions and people living with diseases due to second hand smoking exposures. Almost every American does some activity that is detrimental to their own health.

Many of the same people that want to guilt shame others for attending event, going to a restaurant, opening their business, and so forth fall into the one of the categories above. So they are unwilling to inconvenience themselves to improve their health conditions but they are fine with inconveniencing (or worse) others for their health.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

None of those conditions are highly contagious or would suddenly overwhelm a health care system. You could argue that 2nd hand smoke could be in a similar category, but we've decided as a society to take measures to mitigate that. Many of the same arguments were made that businesses such as bars and restaurants would fail and freedoms were being trampled but we've adjusted just fine and are better for it.