District 6 playoff scenarios

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 6 playoff scenarios

Post by abpk2903 »

Many schools in the Philadelphia area play their biggest game of the year on Thanksgiving weekend against their biggest rival.

If a team happens to still be alive in the playoffs, they cancel the game for that year (they would be in the state semi-finals). If not, it turns into a packed house usually playing a neighboring school with an absolute awesome atmosphere (a lot of alumnus are home for Thanksgiving).

My wife is from a school outside of Philly that plays this game every year. The football stadium is across the street from her home residence. Its really cool to see. Those teams seem to have no problem playing even though the game isn't for a "state championship."

Here is a link to one of the games from last year. Doesn't seem to me that either of these teams lacked interest due to turning their attention to winter and spring sports. https://papreplive.com/2019/11/27/ridle ... ers-doors/

I really wish schools in central PA would entertain this idea. With Thanksgiving (and hunting season) that same weekend, it would be a way to get people in town to see a game that typically don't get to see the team play.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I just want to see state finals in Altoona again, -THE- centrally located venue for the whole state. But politically speaking, the PIAA will never let it happen again.
It ain't over until it's over.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Manfred wrote: October 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm I just want to see state finals in Altoona again, -THE- centrally located venue for the whole state. But politically speaking, the PIAA will never let it happen again.
Geography......Centre County would be the center. Altoona is slightly west....though I would prefer this as well just to watch.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Manfred wrote: October 6th, 2020, 12:17 pm I just want to see state finals in Altoona again, -THE- centrally located venue for the whole state. But politically speaking, the PIAA will never let it happen again.
I think Altoona or Beaver Stadium are the 2 best option for even traveling. Hershey the teams out west have to drive 3 or 4 hrs. While eastern teams drive maybe an hour. I think it should switch year to year Hershey and Altoona.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Beaver Stadium would make sense, but I think the crowds inside that big of a stadium would get lost. A packed Mansion Park for a state championship would be cool.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: October 6th, 2020, 1:19 pm Beaver Stadium would make sense, but I think the crowds inside that big of a stadium would get lost. A packed Mansion Park for a state championship would be cool.
I agree with you i mean the crowds would get lost but it would be cool for the kids. In the 90s mansion was always packed for the state games the atmosphere was awesome. 96 Mount Carmel vs Tyrone is still one of the highest attended state games. Hershey the crowds aren't even close. The drive for some teams and being on TV makes it easier to stay at home. Plus in my opinion Mansion is a way nicer stadium then Hershey. But I'm sure Hershey gives them a good deal so they feel they can't leave.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

If you recall, the few years the PIAA football finals were held in Altoona, weather was a huge Issue.

One year, the finals were moved back a week due to a massive snowstorm that hit. I think the finals that year were like December 17-18.

Weather is a problem in the mountains of central PA.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Yea its PA in December weather can be a factor. Just 2 or 3 years ago Erie Prep was playing in Hershey no snow but Erie was getting hammered with snow at the same time. Weather is just part of the equation.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

If the regular season ends 10/16, Central Cambria won't have to play Bedford, Richland, or Chestnut Ridge. That will certainly help their playoff chances.