How about a discussion of teams that could have been great ?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

How about a discussion of teams that could have been great ?

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

and they had some injuries or stumbled unexpectedly?
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: How about a discussion of teams that could have been great ?

Post by Manfred »

The '96 FH team, led by Qb Matt Danel. He got hurt near the end of his Sr. season in the mud at the Point, and a frosh QB was put into a bad situation for the rest of the way. The 96 team was a better one, IMHO, all around from the '94 state finalist team.
It ain't over until it's over.
Big Ike
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Ike »

Sort of different, and I may have mentioned them before. But while "great" just adding a great "Bridesmaid" team(s) that just came around when All county Carrol was humming. If I am not mistaken there were like 3 or 4 10 win vs. 9-1/10-0 teams that squared off. But the Austin, Highberger, Ostach combinations could not beat the Forcellinis, Crookshank, Mineyers etc. Long story short I wish these teams were at least staggered a little to see if lil ole Blairsville could have done what Homer Center did by making it to states and/or see how they could have faired with a more open passing game. Obviously they lost to ground and pound Huskies. But would have liked to see them at Mansion park to see if passing would have faired better possibly as a better match up vs. Bellwood or Windber style running most of those years. But "Great" would have been making it at least 2 of those years or splitting with BC.
Last edited by Big Ike on January 15th, 2022, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

08 Tyrone. Went undefeated. Beat Central last game of season like 38-13. Stumbled against Central Cambria 2nd round of playoffs.. Central beat Central Cambria the next week for the d6 title.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

What about the Benbow led Beford squad. Could they have made it to Hershey if not for the Rangers?

Also the LV team led by Jackson Daughtery, losing him and Tutino in the last game always made me wonder?

Also the Crookshank/ Chad Shilling team that got bounced by Rochester was special, but just ran in to a very solid Rochester unit.
Big Ike
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Ike »

youngbuck wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:23 pm What about the Benbow led Beford squad. Could they have made it to Hershey if not for the Rangers?

Also the LV team led by Jackson Daughtery, losing him and Tutino in the last game always made me wonder?

Also the Crookshank/ Chad Shilling team that got bounced by Rochester was special, but just ran in to a very solid Rochester unit.
At the very least some of those LV teams could have actually been strong enough to make it to Heinz field if they made the move to WPIAL. Not saying they would have won but actually make it to the North Side of Pittsburgh. But in all seriousness I think they could have, and if a betting man, would have beat Washington or a less juggernaut Steel Valley in 2017 and 2018. If LV would have declared the move years earlier they would not have faced Richland or been in the SC bracket in states. Instead would have played at Ketchup field and beaten either of those 2 and could have beaten the Wilmington "hammer" hounds to advance imho.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

youngbuck wrote: January 14th, 2022, 7:23 pm What about the Benbow led Beford squad. Could they have made it to Hershey if not for the Rangers?

I played against both Benbow and Artrell Hawkins and absolutely thought Benbow was a better running back. He was more powerful along with the great speed they both had.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

He got pretty good at pressing license plates.
It ain't over until it's over.