District V Meet

PIAA- Track and Field
bbsocceralumni
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District V Meet

Post by bbsocceralumni »

Rambler: It would be nice to see, but the wind is always a factor there. It's tough to see records broke especially in the short distance races.
Rambler32
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rambler32 »

True. When we ran there it was like running into a wall. Still seems to me like it'll be tought to get in if the rain don't let up.
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

If wind is that bad during a Dist meet I would think they would run in the opposite direction to off set the wind. Has that ever been done?
bbsocceralumni
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by bbsocceralumni »

I'm not sure. Thats a good question though. Does anyone know?
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

By rule you are allowed to but you would have to do it on the back straight of the track because rule states inside of the track MUST be to the left side of the runners. So for the 100 and High Hurdles you could line everything off on the back stretch to take advantage of the wind.
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Good point, HR, but don't forget that tracks are generally not set up for starting races on the back straight (ie-at the start of the 300IH/1500m run)...Going back 10m from the 300IH start wouild take you into the turn on most tracks so that could be a problem.

Here's a few interesting tidbits...Huntingdon HS had their 200m dash on a straightaway! They had a slow cinder track, but the straightaway was always with the wind and I remember running 23.5 as a freshman in HS there on a day the wind was blowing like a gale at my back. Does Huntingdon still have that setup for 200m?

Also, Portage had a horrendous cinder track at their football stadium that was "roughly" 300-350m in length, complete with broken glass and rusty sprinkler pipes on it. It was also obviously marked incorrectly...I ran a "400m" in :48.xx there in a dual meet, then came back and ran the 800m in 1:47, which qualified me for D1 nationals that year, LOL...In the paper they added :10 to my 400 and :20 to my 800m because they knew they messed up the start and finish lines, LOL...NO DOUBT it was short!
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by brlnsoccerchick19 »

HR - I find that rule about the fact that the track must be to the runners' left to be rather interesting. I remember wayyy back when I was in HS that Somerset's track was equipped for that sort of thing...not sure if it is any more or not. I find it even more interesting considering I've seen the 100m and 100/110 hurdles turned around to take advantage of the wind...but that it's been done on the straightaway where they're usually run. Curiouser and curiouser.....

Is this rule USATF or PIAA? I coach distance, so this doesn't exactly pertain to any of my kids' events, so I only ask to satisfy my own thirst for knowledge. lol
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

It is a National Federation rule. You are correct in that it used to be legal to turn it around and run on the straight stretch running from normal finish line to normal start line but that has since changed. Speaking of track rules....My favorite track rule "fallacy" is when I hear athletes and coaches yell to a HJ/PV'er..."Get off the mat quick" after an attempt in which the bar is wavering. That rule went out at least 30 years ago yet it is passed on and on.
trackkid
Freshman
Freshman

Post by trackkid »

I know for a fact windber runs theirs backwards on the front stretch of they want the winds help.

so if I understand correctly they are breaking the rules. which isn't a big surprise to me but it could still be a big deal. I know they did it at our conference meet this year. couldn't that make those times ineligable?
roadrunner13
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by roadrunner13 »

wow u kids really hate windber huh..always us as the cheaters and bad ppl. ur dumb