Mark Melancon

The name says it all!
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Mark Melancon

Post by PortagePride »

There was signs of it last year but they got through It. Now already in just a short period of time this season it seems like his "closing stuff" is well gone and I PERSONALLY think it's time to remove him from this role. Just curious about everyone elses opinion and where they could go for a closing role now. Hughes, Bastardo maybe? Not really sure....Watson looks shaky just like the second half of last year as well or I would nominated too.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Mark Melancon

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Melancon was shaky last year, but he still could crank it up to 94-95 MPH, he's sitting on 89 right now. So obviously on top of his decline late last year, something else is going on. I suspect he will be on the DL with "elbow discomfort" maybe as soon as tomorrow morning, and maybe he can work it out.

As far as a replacement, I say you just go by committee, whoever has the hot hand. I know it's early, but I wouldn't be shocked if the make some kind of deal to get another arm here. Not a huge impact guy, but some sort of veteran reliever to help out.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Caminero!
You play to win the game!!!
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Ever since his 1st appearance this year, it has been obvious that Melancon is injured. He is overthrowing the ball, pressing with each delivery, and his pitch movement is nill. He threw a loopy curve in his first appearance that was 74mph, the stuff Cambria County Legion pitchers throw.

Move on over Tommy John, you will soon have some more company.
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Actually last night was partially Mark and partially the ball just having eyes. Of the hits he gave us was a flare off the fist of Rizzo that looped over Walker, a Texas Leaguer that got up and over J-Hay, a nicely located down and away fastball that a good swing was just made on and driven to the gap, and a chopper that was hit too slow to turn a double play on.

The only ball hit hard on him was the gap shot off of actually a well placed pitch.
voncap
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by voncap »

and worse yet it appears the other team has figured out he does not have his good stuff. Eight batters came to the plate in the 9th and other than the intentional walk everyone of them swung at the first pitch. None of those first pitches were above 89 mph. That is BP for any major league team.
The easiest thing to do in sports is hustle.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Bullpen right now isn't very good.
Defense is bad right now, Harrison and Walker have not been good.
Starting pitching has been fairly good, hopefully that continues.
Offense has been bad, but showing signs of life and signs that they 2 power hitters with Pedro and Marte.

Baseball can always change, just ask the Milwaukee Brewers from last season. The games mean something right now, but the standings do not.
JustWrestle
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by JustWrestle »

Other than the bullpen I think the Pirates will be alright this year, they may need to make a move or two before the deadline to sure up the pen for the long haul but the hitting is something that will come around. I mean that line up should and hopefully will produce. Melancon is definitely not going to be finishing the year as our closer but no one has really blown me away so far to look like a front runner to replace him either. It'll be interesting to see what Clint does.
Eaglealum
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Eaglealum »

The closer role is magnified because of where they appear. Starters get new contracts when they are better than avg better than 1/2 the time. A closer looks shaky more than once in a few weeks he has to go. I know Sharkbait has been lousy, just overall league wide observation. He should be removed from role and maybe put in situational role to work things out. They overreacted with grilli, and lost couple extra games because of it because Frieri was worse. And Grilli is 7-7 on save chances this year. They can't keep running him out in 9th, but dumping him may be mistake too.
Rearrange the pen, let Watson close, groom Caminero(looks like the future), let Bastardo and Holdzcum take bigger roles in 6th or 7th.
"Don't argue with stupid people; they'll drop you to their level and beat you with experience."
.... A. Einstein
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Grilli was traded 1. because he was blowing a lot of games and 2. nobody liked the guy.

Not sure if it was totally widespread, but a few writers hinted that nobody was upset he was gone, wasn't a good teammate. And if you recall, he threw the Pirates under the bus after he got to LA.