Time to change baseball coaching staff

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Time to change baseball coaching staff

Post by knowitall »

Many kids today don't put on their mitt unless they have a scheduled game or practice. Backyard games of catch or even wiffle ball, let alone an unorganized baseball game at the field have gone away and they may never come back.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

peytonsaturday wrote:I think a lot of it had to do with the lack of success the Pirates had until 2012/2013.  I'm willing to bet; while it may never be what it once was numbers wise, the number of kids playing baseball will increase as the Pirates continue to have success.  Just a theory.  No facts to back up this at all.  But when the local (or closest) pro team isn't relevant why should kids want to play?  I'm sure there are a lot more kids who throw fly balls to themselves now pretending they're Andrew McCutchen than there were throwing those same fly balls to themselves pretending they were Tike Redman.
I'll agree with this. It's hard to stand on the mound pretending you're Josh Fogg throwing to Ronny Paulino
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

How about Larry Demery to Duffy Dyer?
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

12HankQB wrote:
peytonsaturday wrote:I think a lot of it had to do with the lack of success the Pirates had until 2012/2013.  I'm willing to bet; while it may never be what it once was numbers wise, the number of kids playing baseball will increase as the Pirates continue to have success.  Just a theory.  No facts to back up this at all.  But when the local (or closest) pro team isn't relevant why should kids want to play?  I'm sure there are a lot more kids who throw fly balls to themselves now pretending they're Andrew McCutchen than there were throwing those same fly balls to themselves pretending they were Tike Redman.
I'll agree with this. It's hard to stand on the mound pretending you're Josh Fogg throwing to Ronny Paulino
I bet if you looked at local hockey enrollment, it increased after the Pens got really good also.  
Also, nice names you threw out.  Geez! What were we thinking that Fogg, Paulino and the likes were ever going to get us to.500?!?!?!
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Perez, Snell, Duke, and Gorzelanny all had good seasons, but all were years apart and lone pitchers over .500
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I think the worst catcher we had was Rod Barajas, who believe it or not was born in Ontario
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

Lets not forget Kip Wells. Lead the league in losses one year.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Hall of Famer Phil Niekro led the league in losses four consecutive seasons!
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

knowitall wrote:Hall of Famer Phil Niekro led the league in losses four consecutive seasons!
Please don't imply that Kip Wells could have been a hall of famer!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I'm not. Leading the league in losses means you were good enough to keep getting the ball every fifth day. Niekro twice lost 20 games in a season.