AAABA

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

AAABA

Post by knowitall »

Go Zanesville!  What a tournament!  How soon will the rules be changed?
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: AAABA

Post by peytonsaturday »

What happened?  Didn't get to go down last night.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Johnstown II or B or whatever they are called lives to play another day.  How fitting would it be if they were the 1-2 team to advance from pool play?  Next year the Oldtimers should push for four Johnstown teams to make the tournament and have them all play in one pool so two can advance.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

Correct me if I'm wrong, not saying I'm 100% right in this one; but don't the other teams that come basically form an all-star team from their respective leagues then qualify for the national tournament via the regional games? I thought that I had heard this somewhere. If so, why doesn't Johnstown do the same?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I really don't know how the Zanesvilles and Livonias operate.  With just four teams in Johnstown's league you could probably assume that at least two of the teams are all star teams.  Then they are permitted to chose four other players from the other teams to improve their rosters.  The boundaries have been expanded over the years as to where players could reside to play in the league.  About the only thing left to do is allow national and international recruiting.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

I'm saying have Johnstown put 1 team in. And have that team be an all star team (if that's what other teams do).
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

knowitall wrote:I really don't know how the Zanesvilles and Livonias operate.  With just four teams in Johnstown's league you could probably assume that at least two of the teams are all star teams.  Then they are permitted to chose four other players from the other teams to improve their rosters.  The boundaries have been expanded over the years as to where players could reside to play in the league.  About the only thing left to do is allow national and international recruiting.
Johnstown had 5 teams, fairly all competitive, as the 3rd place Carpenter's beat out LAG.  Carpenters also just beat the same Cleveland team that knocked out Martella's.  Rumor is there will be 6 local teams next year,  with  only  one looking for a major local sponsor.  The hero of last night's win played HS ball @ Pittsburgh Central Catholic.
It ain't over until it's over.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

which brings me to this why cant Johnstown win the national aaaba tournament
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

The competition is relatively weak, so no matter which Johnstown team were the entrant they would win a few games and provide enough financial support to the Old-Timers. In the Lower Bracket, the first few games are against nothing more than glorified high school teams.  Heck, just look at some of the cheesy uniforms some of those teams sport.  
I do like the idea of throwing all of the Johnstown teams into the tournament.  Now that would be the smart thing to do if you want to create more local interest.  Surely one would eventually make it through to the end,  I also guarantee it would allow for more expansion and a competitive league.  For years, I've heard from those associated with the league that its tough for new teams to recruit because the zones are limited and the top dogs have so much influence that no kid wants to play unless he is "guaranteed" to play in the tournament.  Makes you wonder, because the Johnstown league is the only league in the country with a self-imposed recruiting zone which is designed to keep the dominant teams at the top.