LHAC Football Forecast Week Seven

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

LHAC Football Forecast Week Seven

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I went 5-1 in my picks last week, and it brings my season total to 34-8.  I have to give some credit to Cambria Heights for beating Penn Cambria.  It's clear the Highlanders are slowly getting better, and they proved it last week - they have now won three in a row.  Aside from that, I think last week went according to plan.  This is the last week of section play in the LHAC, and there is obviously one game on the schedule that sticks out and that's Johnstown at McCort.  Should be a good one from the Point Stadium on Friday. 

[center]Bishop Carroll (0-7) at Cambria Height (3-4) Friday 7:00[/center]

Bishop Carroll dropped to 0-7 on the season last week when Bishop Guilfoyle knocked off the Huskies 52-0.  It's been that kind of season for Bishop Carroll. Nothing has gone right pretty much since the start.  I commend the team for battling each and every week, but it's clear going into certain games they aren't equipped to even compete. 

Cambria Heights is one of the hottest teams in the conference. After a slow 0-4 start, the Highlanders have reeled off three straight wins.  It's something that people thought could happen with this team. With only five seniors, Heights had the chance to take some strides during the season, and that's exactly what is happening. The offense has been showing up more and more each week. Sophomore Cody Stockley's role has grown in recent weeks, and has been an effective ball carrier. Currently this team is hanging onto the 8 seed in the playoffs, and a win here would help their resume. 

Prediction - I just think this Cambria Heights team is playing with more confidence in recent weeks. They are gutting out some close games, and making plays down the stretch.  I look for Cambria Heights to take care of business at home and move to 4-4 on the year.

Highlanders 27 Huskies 0

[center]Central Cambria (1-6) at Bishop Guilfoyle (7-0) Saturday 7:00 Mansion Park[/center]

Central Cambria had trouble getting anything going last week as they fell to Forest Hills 31-0.  It was the second time in the past three weeks that this offense was shut out from the scoreboard. The Red Devils have struggled all year running the ball, as they average just over 100 yards a game as a team. None of their backs averages more than 40 yards per game, and the by committee approach just does not seem to be working.  The running struggles puts added pressure on junior quarterback Justin Bezek, who has attempted 169 passes on the year already. He's been solid overall, but that's a lot of passing attempts and it seems defenses know it's coming. There's no secret as well this defense has had it's struggles this season, and will be put to the test against Bishop Guilfoyle. 

Bishop Guilfoyle made quick work of Bishop Carroll last week. The Marauders jumped to a big lead in the first quarter and sort of coasted from there.  The win marked the 29th straight victory for the program. They should have little trouble this week, the key here will not be looking ahead to next week's showdown with Johnstown, which is shaping up to be the LHAC Championship.

Prediction - I think Bishop Guilfoyle should cruise here. They are simply better in all facets of the game, and the winning streak will make it to 40. 

Marauders 52 Red Devils 0

[center]Westmont (3-4) at Richland (2-5) Friday 7:00 Herlinger Field[/center]

Westmont battled Bishop McCort last week, but came up short 23-13.  The Hilltoppers are one of the better 3-4 teams in the district. They have played everyone tough, and it stems from their tough offense to defend. The 1-2 punch of Ian Valente and Camden Moors is one of the best in the league, as Valente has rushed for 828 yards and 8 scores, while Moors has 625 and 8 scores as well.  It's one of those things, you know it's coming, but Westmont is going to do it anyway.  The Hilltoppers are resting on the seventh seed in AA at the moment, and are hoping to improve their stock with a very manageable last three games, starting on Friday against Richland. 

Richland's playoff hopes are very much on life support, and they are in "must win" mode in these last three games. The Rams hung with Somerset last week, but came up short against the Golden Eagles. It's late in the season, and the quarterback position is still evolving for Brandon Bailey's team. Freshman Caleb Burke has shown some promise in recent weeks and should continue to see the majority of the snaps. Ethan Dabbs has been moved around in different roles, but has been mostly effective as a runner.  Still, they have struggled putting up points and they need to get that figured out this week if they want to grab a much needed win. 

Prediction - I like Westmont in this one. I think they have the more physical team on offense, and more importantly they have an identity. They should be able to get their running game going against the Rams and impose their will. 

Hilltoppers 28 Rams 7

[center]Penn Cambria (4-3) at Forest Hills (3-4) Friday 7:00 GH Miller Field[/center]

After an impressive 4-1 start, the Panthers have now lost two straight games.  Many expected Penn Cambria to beat Cambria Heights, but they dug too big of a hole early. The Panthers will look to rebound on Friday against Forest Hills. The best recipe for success for this team is feeding Nick Hite, who has 788 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns on the year. He's been their one consistent form of offense all season long, and he will need to have a big game on Friday. 
Forest Hills has had a roller coaster type of season, and they are currently on the upswing coming off a 31-0 win over Central Cambria. 
The Rangers received an extremely efficient performance from sophomore quarterback, Adam Cecere. He connected on 10-12 passes for 115 yards and 2 scores, and rushed for another one. Forest Hills also added in a new wrinkle last week as wide receiver Jon Long rushed the ball 13 times for 83 yards.  It proved to be a smart move, and it adds another dynamic to this offense. They made need some new ideas like that in the game on Friday.

Prediction - This is actually a huge game for both sides.  In AAA, only six teams make the playoffs and if it ended today bother of these teams would be in the field. However, neither team is a lock either.  There is tons of parity in AAA, and plenty of shaking up will happen in these final three weeks. I think I'm going with Penn Cambria.  They have been a little stronger and more consistent this season, BUT I certainly think Forest Hills could win this game. 

Panthers 24 Rangers 20

[center]Somerset (3-4) at Bedford (3-4) Friday 7:00[/center]

Somerset was able to snap a three game losing streak with a win over Richland.  The win at least gives Somerset some playoff hopes, though they still feel like a slight long shot.  The Golden Eagles' season feels like a slight disappointment. They had a veteran line returning, along with some skill guys like Austin Hemminger and George Coyle, plus a potential future division one player like Ryan Funa.  For whatever reason, they have not put it together this season. I think going into this one against Bedford they have a solid chance to grab a win. 

Bedford hung with Johnstown for three quarters, but the Trojans eventually put away the Bisons in the fourth quarter.  In fact, Bedford actually out-gained Johnstown, but they had trouble finding the end zone and finishing off drives. Davis Kline had a strong game at quarterback, and has played well for most of the season. He will need to have a big game on Friday operating the option offense. Still, it's been three straight losses for this team and they are trending in the wrong direction. They are in desperate need of a win. 

Prediction - Like many of the LHAC games this week, there are playoff implications on both sides.  While both teams have 3-4 records, I've been slightly more impressed with Bedford this season, and I think they pick up the win at home. 

Bisons 28 Golden Eagles 21

[center]GAME OF THE WEEK[/center]

[center]Johnstown (7-0) at Bishop McCort (6-1) Friday 7:00 Point Stadium[/center]

Johnstown comes into this game on fire, as the Trojans have been chasing perfection all year long. With the exception of one game, all of their games have been won by at least three touchdowns. It's been pure domination from Tony Penna's squad, and that's why they find themselves ranked 6th in the state for AAAA. The offense has been more run heavy than in recent years, and that's just fine as senior Bryce Gibson has been producing at a high level with 941 yards and 11 touchdowns.  The passing game was off last week against Bedford, but we know it can be dangerous when Exree Loe gets his hands on the ball in space. Johnstown's defense has been strong this season as well, and Shamar Jones has been an anchor at nose tackle. 

Bishop McCort had to battle, but they overcame a pesky Westmong squad to set up the big showdown with Johnstown. The Crushers have been perhaps the most balanced team in the league. No one player is dominating the stat sheet, but they are still getting it done. Anthony Walters and Carnell Andrews have been the primary weapons on offense, but Imil Britt and Andre Nash have been making plays in recent weeks as well, giving them options across the board. The Crushers' defense has been among the best in the league and Walters and Ridge Phillips are one of the best linebacker duos in the area. 

Prediction - This could be a really, really good football game. For one it's a rivalry, and anything goes in rivalry games. Now also factor in the two records, and the common opponents.  It's even on a lot of fronts. Both teams can run the ball, both teams have big play athletes. It's going to come down to execution, and maybe some luck.  I just think the two teams have a lot of similarities, but Johnstown just seems to be a little bigger, stronger and faster in a lot of spots.  I'll take the Trojans in a close one. 

Trojans 28 Crimson Crushers 24
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: LHAC Football Forecast Week Seven

Post by Manfred »

Kudos. Another in a succession of great reviews. My take on FH: With 3 home games remaining, PC, Richland, Bedford, the Rangers need 2 of 3 to make the playoffs. Can they do that? Yes, but...one of them has to be over PC this week or Bedford in the final. Can they lose all 3? Again, yes, but...It's been a somewhat disappointing year from a partisan fan's perspective, but with few Sr's. (currently starting 1)and the usual bunch of nagging injuries, just making playoffs was going to be tough. The old adage applies- There's always next year!
It ain't over until it's over.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Forest Hills has the skill to compete with Penn Cambria, but I don't know if they have the beef to win. We shall see.
Kvothe0
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Kvothe0 »

The Tribune Democrat says that Carnell Andrews will not be able to get back from a wrestling tournament in time to play. That's a big loss for Mccort.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

Manfred, you know I love you bro but Gavlak starts at tackle offensively and Hudson #40 starts on defense which is two seniors.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Kvothe0 wrote:The Tribune Democrat says that Carnell Andrews will not be able to get back from a wrestling tournament in time to play. That's a big loss for Mccort.
Agreed, he's a big part of their time on offense, defense, and return man.  I would guess more touches for Andre Nash and Imil Britt this week. 
I recall a few years ago the Bedford QB went to a baseball showcase during the week of a big game.  I get it, and get why kids feel compelled to go to things like this but I'm not a fan of it. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

With the Cook to Benton connection starting to click, BM may not miss Andrews quite as much.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

I don't think a backup receiver is going to offset a starting running back's production. Either way, they may miss him more on defense.  Andrews is their best corner and was their only real shot of sticking with Exree Loe. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Ah, but the loss of Andrews on offense will be tempered by the above mentioned improving passing connection. By the way, didn't Andrews come up thru the GJHS system before attending BM?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Losing Andrews is like taking Quadree Henderson away from Pitt, it's not going to be a net gain however it shakes out. It's a big loss for the Crushers this week.