Preseason District 6 Basketball Power Rankings

High School & College Sports Enthusiast Jim Hammett breaks it down for you!
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Preseason District 6 Basketball Power Rankings

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yeah you are probably right. I'm giving those schools credit for past performances, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

I think Juniata Valley could be a sleeper pick in Class A if they can get all of the athletes to play. This years seniors lost one game in Junior high and the next year the now juniors (really sophomores) were undefeated and won the ICC title. Good group of kids if they all play.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Yeah you are probably right. I'm giving those schools credit for past performances, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Nothing wrong with that.  They have definitely earned it.  Are you going to try to keep up with this periodically throughout the season?  Any girls' rankings?
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

Good stuff. Doug West in Altoona is cool.

Are you handicapping the LHAC as McCort, Johnstown, Westy, Somerset at the moment? Just piecing together from how some of the league's teams slotted into your overall district viewpoint.
Bballfan123
Junior
Junior

Post by Bballfan123 »

ChrisKentRam wrote:Great work as always Crimson. Always a fun read, and hopefully gets everyone talking about hoops. I think you put some very good lists together. At this time of year it's hard to really argue with anything you said.

In double a I would probably take Homer and West Branch out, and put Portage and Penns Manor in. As I said, it's hard to really argue with the way you have it, I just think both teams lost too much production, especially West Branch.
I'm having trouble with putting Penns Manor in that mix.  I know this is a group that played really well in junior high but this is really one of my soft spots.  A team that played well at that age doesn't always translate as it's multiple factors that can go into it; especially on the boy's side where a lot of maturing takes place from jr high to varsity.  Besides that fact of being good at a younger age I can't give them the nod until someone beats HC, much less LV if Smith plays.  Portage deserves to be in there over West Branch from what I saw of them this summer; some really ncie athletes.
Bballfan123
Junior
Junior

Post by Bballfan123 »

How does everyone rank the conferences this year? I know we get into this discussion about football and who's better but what does it look like in basketball
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

ChrisKentRam wrote:Are you going to try to keep up with this periodically throughout the season?  Any girls' rankings?
Yes, come January the rankings will be weekly. It's tough in December with all the tip-off and Christmas tournaments to keep track, once January hits it becomes easier.

And probably won't do a girls rankings.  In all honesty, I don't keep up with girls basketball enough to do a ranking.  Plus there's enough girls basketball fans on here that will keep up with it. 
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
ChrisKentRam wrote:Are you going to try to keep up with this periodically throughout the season?  Any girls' rankings?
Yes, come January the rankings will be weekly. It's tough in December with all the tip-off and Christmas tournaments to keep track, once January hits it becomes easier.

And probably won't do a girls rankings.  In all honesty, I don't keep up with girls basketball enough to do a ranking.  Plus there's enough girls basketball fans on here that will keep up with it. 
Sounds good.  I look forward to following them throughout the season.  
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

dougkeklak wrote:Are you handicapping the LHAC as McCort, Johnstown, Westy, Somerset at the moment?  Just piecing together from how some of the league's teams slotted into your overall district viewpoint.
If I had to sort out the LHAC (which is not easy) I'd go like this.

Section I

1. Bishop Guilfoyle
2. Central Cambria
3. Forest Hills
4. Bishop Carroll
5. Penn Cambria
6. Cambria Heights

Section II

1. Johnstown
2. Westmont
3. Bishop McCort
4. Richland
5. Somerset 
6. Bedford

I think Central Cambria or BG could finish 1-2 in that section. Depends how quickly their football players acclimate.  In Section II, Johnstown, McCort, Westmont and even Richland are all capable of winning that section. It's really a toss-up.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Bballfan123 wrote:
ChrisKentRam wrote:Great work as always Crimson. Always a fun read, and hopefully gets everyone talking about hoops. I think you put some very good lists together. At this time of year it's hard to really argue with anything you said.

In double a I would probably take Homer and West Branch out, and put Portage and Penns Manor in. As I said, it's hard to really argue with the way you have it, I just think both teams lost too much production, especially West Branch.
I'm having trouble with putting Penns Manor in that mix.  I know this is a group that played really well in junior high but this is really one of my soft spots.  A team that played well at that age doesn't always translate as it's multiple factors that can go into it; especially on the boy's side where a lot of maturing takes place from jr high to varsity.  Besides that fact of being good at a younger age I can't give them the nod until someone beats HC, much less LV if Smith plays.  Portage deserves to be in there over West Branch from what I saw of them this summer; some really ncie athletes.
You've made a VG point.  For example, this years' FH varsity,  3 ?  years ago, won the LHAC Jr. Hi championship, yet, even though they will be a -pretty- good team, will likely not win or come close in their section.  They could surprise though.
It ain't over until it's over.