New Legion Baseball pitch count rule

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
deerslayer
Freshman
Freshman

New Legion Baseball pitch count rule

Post by deerslayer »

Any thoughts on the new pitch count rule..... 1 pitch through 45 pitches constitutes one calendar days rest.   46-60 pitches is 2 days rest.  61-75 is 3 days rest and over 76 pitches  equals 4 days rest.
woninthetrenches
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: New Legion Baseball pitch count rule

Post by woninthetrenches »

I have no problem with pitch counts on kids. It can help them from over doing it. But the real problem is not the 80 pitches every 4 days its the year round leagues where the pitch, the extra bull pen sessions and all the practices where you pitch that add up too much.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Most teams' pitchers also play a field position when not on the mound. How do you regulate throws other than from the mound? Kids can throw their arms out from the outfield as well as overuse pitching.
It ain't over until it's over.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

No Objections Here
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

Whose going to police this? Is the Legion going to send an official pitch count keeper to all the games? Like we can trust the Bedfords, Claysburgs and Pattons 's with their counts . The umps need to have a more open strike zone from the letters to the knees not the knees to the ankles make these kids swing the bat. 
pas2326100
Junior
Junior

Post by pas2326100 »

I dont think its the bedfords, claysburgs, and Pattons that you will have to worry about !!   In saying that ... there arent any coaches in this league that i would have an integrity issue with being honest with pitch counts.    What i meant is that those 3 teams have access to alot more pitching and this is going be a bigger burden on the smaller market teams.   Pitch count and safety isnt anything i am against but these numbers seem way over kill.  For instance what if you have a closer.... 1 pitch equals one calendar days rest .... really.   And 76 pitches on the top end seems way to conservative .   The shame of the matter is that these rules across all levels of baseball become necessary because of coaches who abuse kids just for the sake of winning.  The coaches who suffer are the ones who were doing things the right way in the first place.
lgb87cape
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lgb87cape »

Yeah 76 pitches . Little League gets 85 for four days rest. What about when you play 8 games in 6 days to close out a season after all the rain outs. How about 3 days rest after 76 or more. They have by laws for all kinds of other junk have a more relaxed pitch count in the by laws.
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

PIAA is going to 76-100 equals 3 days rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
hitnrun10r
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by hitnrun10r »

I think it's great to see legion rules go in favor of a pitch count. I've seen many teams over the years throw a young pitcher way to many pitches or not enough rest. Time to bulk up on the pitching staff. There are probably only 4-5 teams that this will not be a problem for. However, we may see some change in some scores.
hitnrun10r
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by hitnrun10r »

Turns out that the Cambria County league will adopt their own pitching rules for their regular season. Probably will be the same as last year. However, the teams that go to regionals will have to adjust to the new rules for tournament play. Good idea for them or bad? I think bad because they will not be used to the other rules and may not have the pitching depth. By this, I mean riding or 2 guys through the season and playoffs.