Scrimmages

It could be....It might be.....It is!!! A Home Run!
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Scrimmages

Post by BigSkyCountry »

How are any teams fairing in scrimmages or early season contests. Not much chatter on here, heard McCort scrimmaged this afternoon. How did they fair for anyone that made it out? I believe it was against Conemaugh Township. Any positives for either? I would imagine that neither team pitched their starter for the nex (first) game. Let's hear your thoughts...
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Scrimmages

Post by Manfred »

No scrimmages for the Rangers. Reg. schedule has already started with one game @ Central already cancelled/ postponed? First home game is today vs BC, Thur. @ CC. Of course all games weather permitting, LOL.
It ain't over until it's over.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Rough start to the spring sports season. Happens more often than not. Surprised more people don't take advantage of renting the turf. Found out today it runs $200 to rent half and half field at iron horse. Not bad, but if nobody is on it, must be a little pricy. Anyone know the cost of the point per contest? 
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

BigSkyCountry wrote:Rough start to the spring sports season. Happens more often than not. Surprised more people don't take advantage of renting the turf. Found out today it runs $200 to rent half and half field at iron horse. Not bad, but if nobody is on it, must be a little pricy. Anyone know the cost of the point per contest? 
$200 to rent + cost to bus the team to the facility - any concession stand revenue  = Not worth it to almost every team. Not to mention who wants to give up a home game just to play there?
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

If I were paying the 200.00, would choose the point over the iron horse half and half. Some teams have been pursuing the opportunity to play at PNC Park. Overall cost from ticket sales is 10,000 plus bus, minus concession for a 2 hour drop dead time. No bp, no warm up. Experience is priceless. Think I would rather play at point. Altoona curve facility would be good option too. I haven't heard of that being an option for hs teams other than playoffs. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Most high school baseball teams likely operate on a shoestring budget.  Also, the softball team will also expect equal treatment.

The Point is the home field for Bishop McCort and UPJ so it may not be available all that much.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

PNG Field has the Curve Classic and hosts the District Championships, otherwise it's pretty much off-limits for high schools.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

The Point isn't anything special, the only way teams use it outside of McCort and UPJ is if their home field is under water. I wouldn't expect many teams go out of their way to play at the Point, it's there as a fallback plan.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Understand your viewpoint. Just think there is a little nostalgia with the point. I thought it was unique playing there with the history of games there. I hear a lot of baseball kids carry a bit of excitement when they have their first opportunity to compete there. Would still rather pay the 200 to play there than the other option - if it were my money. 
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Crimson, any highlights from the CT v McCort scrimmage? Can't put all your eggs in one basket with a scrimmage, especially when teams play the same week. CT had a lot of youth last year and I thought they could and should be better this year. Wasn't sure on McCort projections. If you were there....or what you heard...