Scott Conklin's proposed bill

Discuss all political matters here!
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Scott Conklin's proposed bill

Post by dadw/2sons »

Does anybody think this will make a difference in how the PIAA will handle the playoffs or is it just another failed attempt? What I saw on the news clip sounded very well thought out and made sense.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Scott Conklin's proposed bill

Post by CCDevil2012 »

It’s a good idea in theory, but it will never make all people happy. Look at all the complaining there was about Juniata Valley girls basketball. I don’t know why they just don’t treat private schools as a co-op, then they would be in the proper classification. 
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

That’s what I’ve been saying all along...good for one good for all... If a private has kids from 3 different districts then they should count those schools numbers on theirs.... you’d find almost all private’s would be 5&6A
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

I agree with both of you. Hopefully the Juniata Valley situation wouldn't happen if there was a rule separating the 2 championships. Hopefully the local districts would prevent the transfers because they really became a private school because of the local AAU team was really getting together at the local public school. If that is the reasons for the transfers then that school would compete in the private section or prevent it altogether.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I’ve said before I don’t care what happens with HS athletics in Pennsylvania.  If they split Private/Public, stay the same with how things are today, or if they do a multiplier system to force privates to account for more kids etc. I’m fine with whatever happens or does not happen. 

But is it just me, or are there more important things in the world government-wise than a bill like this?   Is this really something that needs to be legislated? 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

There’s certainly more important things education-wise that should be taking higher priority in both the state legislature and the superintendent’s office.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

I agree with all yinz' comments here. But pass the bill. Please.
It ain't over until it's over.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I’ve said before I don’t care what happens with HS athletics in Pennsylvania.  If they split Private/Public, stay the same with how things are today, or if they do a multiplier system to force privates to account for more kids etc. I’m fine with whatever happens or does not happen. 

But is it just me, or are there more important things in the world government-wise than a bill like this?   Is this really something that needs to be legislated? 
A bill like this wasn’t needed if they never made it a law in the first place. 
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

That pony show Friday was a waste as even if it cancels out the 1972 law there is still no way to define border/non border schools because there are “public” schools who allow tuition students to play, they are no different than “private” charter and catholic schools. Same can be said for schools with foreign exchange students. Until a true definition comes about no law change will affect anything. The new rules are starting to work.
We are already seeing players who tried to transfer for obvious athletic reasons be denied In wpial another happened yesterday. A senior tried to actually transfer from private to public and was told he’d be denied. He left the state for another team. As you can see, the new rules protect both private and pub. They may need tweaking. We need to let them play out.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

EaglealumsGhost wrote:That’s what I’ve been saying all along...good for one good for all... If a private has kids from 3 different districts then they should count those schools numbers on theirs.... you’d find almost all private’s would be 5&6A
In essence this was done through the success factor portion of TE new rules.