Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Hardwood chatter
Earl34
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Thursday Scoreboard 2-28-19

Post by Earl34 »

I wonder how it would be received if Williamsburg and Central decided to co-op for football. Williamsburg petitions to be the host school, takes half of Centrals enrollment, stays single A. Do you think there would be an outcry of unfairness? Just wondering.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Earl34 wrote:I wonder how it would be received if Williamsburg and Central decided to co-op for football. Williamsburg petitions to be the host school, takes half of Centrals enrollment, stays single A. Do you think there would be an outcry of unfairness? Just wondering.
Well that's still not comparing apples to apples, but whatever. I'm sure people would complain if that happened because that would make zero sense. I'm so tired of the argument that we all want a trophy...no, we all want fair and equal opportunity. It doesn't matter if they've been in the system the entire time or transfer in, it's still an ability that public schools are limited in versus private/carter. I'd be fine with 3 private and 3 public classes. Either way, schools are going to try to get around rules to better themselves with talent. That's just the nature of the beast. 
Then there's the Kennedy Catholic/BG/Johnstown Christian argument. One is over the top, one is middle of the road, and one is not relevant. All three have the ability to have an advantage over a public school, but as we see time and again with privates if they don't bring talent in, they can fall hard. KC has a reputation built and will continue to bring in the 7' giants of the basketball world and Johnstown Christian will struggle to even have teams. We've seen the ups and downs of BG, BM, and BC in football...all who've made the state finals when they peak and most of that was in the 4 class system. 
Once again, I don't care what these schools do. If you want to get an AAU team together, fine. If they want to bring kids in from Kentucky or Florida, fine, but don't call yourself a mouse when you're a monster dressed like a mouse. There's no reason KC should've ever played a Shanksville in playoffs. Keep regular seasons the same, but split them up for playoffs. Even if they aren't executing their extra ability, they still have the ability. It's unequal any way you slice it. On good runs or bad runs, it's unequal. Our local privates aren't even comparable to the charters of Philly or KC, but locally they've had more state success in different sports than any other schools in the area. 
To think there's never an advantage is ignorant.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

Post by BasketballFan12345 »

Haha I remember going to see JV vs KC two years ago in states. Their roster then was bigger than Villanova’s national championship roster
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

BasketballFan12345 wrote:Haha I remember going to see JV vs KC two years ago in states. Their roster then was bigger than Villanova’s national championship roster
They must have just worked harder than Juniata Valley
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

The argument of “they’ve been in the system their whole lives” is a stretch but the only argument you got. If Michael Jordan, Lebron, and Kevin Durant all lived in different towns, they could decide to all send their kids to the same private school long before we know their athletic potential. But chances are they’d be above average basketball players and you’d have the private school defenders on here saying, “well they’ve always gone to that school”. But even at that level, private schools have an opportunity to do this and publics do not.
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

BG never brought a “good player” in though. Kennedy brought in a bunch of 6’8 or taller players from different countries and states. Get off that topic dude
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Idk, public school supporters always like to use the "our kids have been playing together for 10 years" thing and act like every kid that attends BG and McCort are hired guns from hours away.
BasketballFan12345
Freshman
Freshman

Thank you Crimson. I’m not saying private schools shouldn’t be separate from public schools, but to immediately start blaming a loss on another team “recruiting” or just because they are a “charter” school is completely bogus. Unless you can state facts and point out to me that a player that significantly helps the team is from another area, I could care less about the discussion
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I've said before, I don't really care if they separate, keep things the same, or throw in a multiplier for how they divide things up, but usually there's more hypocrisy in these debates than you would think.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

BasketballFan12345 wrote:Thank you Crimson. I’m not saying private schools shouldn’t be separate from public schools, but to immediately start blaming a loss on another team “recruiting” or just because they are a “charter” school is completely bogus. Unless you can state facts and point out to me that a player that significantly helps the team is from another area, I could care less about the discussion
BG girls basketball has never benefitted from transfers?