PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: PIAA Classification Craziness....Coming Soon!

Post by Manfred »

Correct me if wrong. An individual student only goes to a tech school for part of the day. The rest of the day they are in their 'base' school.
It ain't over until it's over.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Manfred wrote: December 21st, 2021, 8:13 am Correct me if wrong. An individual student only goes to a tech school for part of the day. The rest of the day they are in their 'base' school.
This is my thought. Unless I'm grossly missing something, I don't see how this should do anything to your enrollment numbers other than political corruption/abuse of power/bad leadership, etc.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Not sure if all vo-techs operate the same way, but GJCTC is just partial day. Kids play sports at their home schools. I had always heard that So Columbia is the vo-tech for their county and kids from anywhere in the county can play there. Not sure if that is true, but that is the only way this rule makes sense. Is there another part of the rule for schools that accept kids into their vo-tech program?
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

My son attends his home school until 12:15 and then heads to the county Vo-Tech for welding. He returns to his home school and plays football and wrestles at his home school.That is how it works in Bedford County.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Now everyone can see where I was going with this.

Dad's Son that leaves for Vo-Tech counts as 10% for his home school now. Even though he graduates from there and can't play sports at his tech center...he counts as 10%. I'm sure this issue will be corrected, but not for two years.

Let's say I can take a science class at NASA and it is across the road from my school. I leave for a period to go over there. Am I now only 10% of a student at my home school that I eat lunch at, ride the bus to, graduate from?
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Exactly, it just doesn't make any sense other than fudging of numbers. How this passed is beyond me, there couldn't be any logical reasoning for it.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Imagine having 100 kids that go to Vo Tech and only having to count 10. I bet there are now enrollments that are in the 20s and 30s TOTAL for schools because of how this is. I bet there are some rural publics that could have numbers in the single digits. I heard one school will have more players on their team than their enrollment says they have....lol!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

so does anyone know which teams/schools send kids to a Tech center or not? That might help give a clearer idea. Although that 123 number isn't much lower than what it was for this cycle (129 to 123). That is a concern, unless some traditional class A teams now are clearly above the 123 line because they don't send kids to a tech center.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

NBC send a couple to vo tech, but not many. We send less than 15 female students and maybe 1-2 males. We have on-site building, auto, horticulture, and agriculture here.

Much of Somerset County sends students to vo-tech buildings. I also think some of the northern schools like BEA, PO, etc send a good bit of kids to a vo tech during the day.

Bedford County has the Bedford County Technical Center. They get students from Bedford, Everett, Ridge, Tussey, NBC, etc.

Southern Blair County sends some kids to vo-tech as well.

So, with this rule... If I was Bedford County Technical Center and I decided to offer sports, does this mean that any of the kids who come to my building could play for my school? I'm thinking this is part of the problem at least somewhere in the state. Kids from 4-5 schools end their day at a tech school and then choose to play for that school... Maybe I am wrong, but I bet that is where this comes from in some way, shape, or form.

CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

12HankQB wrote: December 21st, 2021, 10:06 am Exactly, it just doesn't make any sense other than fudging of numbers. How this passed is beyond me, there couldn't be any logical reasoning for it.
The biggest and maybe only benefit I see from this is to further separate public/private.

To my knowledge, most private schools, at least locally, don’t send kids besides a handful to a vo tech school, where public’s do. So while many schools will go down in size/enrollment, many of the privates will not