Opinion?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Opinion?

Post by CoffinCorner »

Do you like some trash talk, chest bumping, etc in the game. Or would you rather the refs didn't allow any of it to go on. I don't want to see a bench clearing brawl or taunting in a blowout game. But seeing some emotion in the game is exciting. Was at the FH RV game and there was some chirping going on, nothing terrible , one incident of pushing and shoving after a play that drew some flags but nothing otherwise that was out of hand. Walking out heard some complaints in the parking lot that the refs let too much go.
Was wondering what any one here thought. Zero tolerance or let them go as long as it does not get out of control.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Opinion?

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

I don't mind it. It's something that has always happened. I notice it alot more now. I'm not sure if the kids are more flagrant and showing off with it these days but I don't remember seeing it as much years ago. But it is one of those things where you have to ride a fine line with it. Some refs let it slide but others don't.
OldD6er
Freshman
Freshman

Post by OldD6er »

I don't see anything wrong with it! Football is an emotional sport and should be played that way! There is a point that it should never cross but its part of the game as far as I'm concerned. There is no other sport where you allowed to hit someone as hard as you can over and over. If you make a good play, lay a good hit, score a TD, etc you should be allowed to celebrate and talk some smack. All within reason and within the rules of course.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Definitely a fine line. It’s an emotional game. Be passionate and celebrate with your own team.

When things begin to be directed at the other team, players, fans, or coaches is when I think the line is crossed.

I don’t mind seeing teammate jump into each other, choreographed handshakes (not excessive), head butting each other, etc. Don’t make it about yourself, make it about your accomplishments together as a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

As a fan, I enjoy seeing a team that comes to play and even though the other team might be the "big dawg" they won't back down. Prime example of this was the 2011 Tyrone team that beat Hickory at Mansion. They stood toe to toe with Hickory and refused to be intimidated. No dirty hits, no taunting. But the emotion they played with was fun to watch. Deshaun Coleman trying jawing at Tyrone defenders multiple times and they would not back down. Bedford v Central Valley, Central v Bell Vernon, even the Berlin team that beat Clariton at CT. Our local teams were expected to lose, but wouldnt be pushed around. There were times refs could have got involved but they let them play. Fun games to watch from a fan perspective.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

I'll preface this by saying I'm old, but I hate the taunting and trash-talking. Celebrate all you want, sports should be fun. But taunting, trash-talking, getting in your opponents face is garbage. Why are they trying to turn every competition into a fight? Try playing a game of pick-up basketball without some jerk running his mouth. It sucks the fun out of sports.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Eliminate this stuff by giving everyone a trophy and calling it a season.
It ain't over until it's over.
HazyGuy
Freshman
Freshman

Post by HazyGuy »

It's part of the game. It's unavoidable, and, in my opinion, adds something to the game as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with some trash talking and players taunting. It's the job of the officials to make sure it doesn't get out of hand and cause issues within the game like we saw in the CR/Richland game two weeks ago.
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 223113 »

Like Colonel Mustard, I'll start by saying I'm old. I don't mind a celebratory act, like a fist pump, or 2 guys wearing the same uniforms jumping and chest bumping, after a Big play. But, the celabrations over plays that are average, or less-than-spectacular,.....it gets old. I see it more in Pro football than high school.
Okay, okay, you made a tackle for no gain,....no need to dance a jig 5 yards towards the opponents end zone....
Yes, emotions can run high. But, sometimes the every-other-play celebrations make me say out loud, regardless of who hears me, "You did what you were supposed to do. Now, just get back in the huddle."
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by old school »

^ This is exactly why I do not enjoy watching the NFL anymore. No need for someone to celebrate after every play. Do your job and go back to the huddle
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant