Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Shoot the half!!!
BisonLegend68
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Inquiring Minds Want to Know

Post by BisonLegend68 »

My friend is from Westmont and said they were told not to show up cause they were planning not to wrestle. I heard the coach told them they didn’t have a chance. As a parent and coach what message are you sending to your program. PIAA used to have a sportsmenship message. I can speak for most and can say no team in Bedford county would ever back or lay down for anyone. Heck Bedford still goes into the ridge match each year believing they have a chance. Will this be the new norm in wrestling. If your team is bad, just wrestle the individual matches you think you can win. Save the others a blemish on their record.
bedfordcountyfan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by bedfordcountyfan »

Until piaa levels the playing field i don't blame westmont for not wanting to get someone hurt by wrestling a top ranked recruited prep team. The better question is what sense of accomplishment would a prep team get wrestling teams in the lower level of piaa wrestling
creedence
Freshman
Freshman

Post by creedence »

BisonLegend68 wrote: February 7th, 2024, 1:39 pm My friend is from Westmont and said they were told not to show up cause they were planning not to wrestle. I heard the coach told them they didn’t have a chance. As a parent and coach what message are you sending to your program. PIAA used to have a sportsmenship message. I can speak for most and can say no team in Bedford county would ever back or lay down for anyone. Heck Bedford still goes into the ridge match each year believing they have a chance. Will this be the new norm in wrestling. If your team is bad, just wrestle the individual matches you think you can win. Save the others a blemish on their record.
There's some hammers on Chestnut Ridge that already got 100 wins and going for pin record. That is what makes CR special. But going around trashing good programs and coaches don't do anything but make the team who always wants drama get drama and look bad. Focus on hard work. We don't know anything about Westmont forfeits but there coaches are top notch. Help grow the sport boys. Don't spread rumors about good programs.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I do believe Mr. Bassett was held back several years, so he is older than his classmates in school. Gotta take that somewhat into consideration.
Rumorman78
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Rumorman78 »

I attended a match between a district 5 vs a district 6 team a few weeks ago. There were only 3 wt. classes that actually wrestled,and 2 out of the 3 were pins under60 sec.. All the other wt. classes were forfeit matches. It is sad to see the decline that is taking place in many of the smaller schools, with regards to H.S. wrestling.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

El-Moldo wrote: February 8th, 2024, 9:20 pm I do believe Mr. Bassett was held back several years, so he is older than his classmates in school. Gotta take that somewhat into consideration.
There is an age limit in the PIAA, he was only held back once
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Wrestling used to be the sport for tough guys. Now coaches juggling their roster to get forfeit points and avoid a tough match is common. College coaches are sitting their guys out of tough matches to preserve their rankings. And so much drama for such a dying sport.
BisonLegend68
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by BisonLegend68 »

El-Moldo wrote: February 8th, 2024, 9:20 pm I do believe Mr. Bassett was held back several years, so he is older than his classmates in school. Gotta take that somewhat into consideration.
I asked about this. I was told he was held back and most of the best kids are. Even here in Bedford county our top kids will all turn 19 yrs old their senior years (Deputy, Cassidy, etc) The PIAA rule allows wrestlers to turn 19 before graduation.
My source which is a good one said Rocco Welsh, Dalton Perry, Bo Basset, Jax Forest, The Harar brothers, Arrington, Gibson, Spencer lee, David Taylor all turned 19 in their senior years. My sons graduated at 17.5 and 18 so things must have changed.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

I do believe Bassett started kindergarten late. That would make him basically 2 years older than his classmates. If I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know.
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

Section 1. Maximum Age Rule.

A student shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition upon attaining the age of nineteen years, with the following exception: If the age of 19 is attained on or after July 1, the student shall be eligible, age-wise, to compete through that school year.